Acrylic is a manmade/ synthetic fibre that imitates wool. DuPont created the first acrylic fibres in 1941 made from polyacrylonitrile. It was developed in the 1940s then took off in large quantities in the last 1950s.
- Acrylic is made when energy and pressure is applied to fossil fuels such as coal or petroleum, when this happens it put the fossil fuel into a viscous state which means its somewhere between a liquid and a solid
- The plastic solution is then put through spinnerets and is put directly into air or water where it solidifies.
- The acrylic fibres are then washed, dried and cut into long or short fibres are ready for use
- Acrylic is very resistant to sunlight this is because how close together to fibre are. This is a physical property.
- Acrylic is also very resistant to moths, mildew and other insects making acrylic a durable fibre
- Acrylic is a filament which men the fibre is one continuous strand and this is a physical property
- Acrylic is a hydrophobic fibre which means it doesn’t soak up any moisture. This is a physical property.
- Acrylic is not easily deformed making it even more durable. This is a physical property
- Acrylic has a very high dye affinity due to its wool like properties. This is an aesthetical property.
- Acrylic also has a very high dye fastness due to it wool like properties also. This is also an Aesthetical Property.
- Acrylic is soft and warm with a wool-like touch. This is an Aestical Property
- Acrylic fibres are white or have a yellowish hew. This is an aestical property.
- Acrylic, like wool has a decent drape as it’s used to make fleeces and cardigans. This is an Aesthetical property.
Aksa.com. (2019). What Is Acrylic Fiber? – PRODUCTS – What is Acrylic Fiber? – AKSA. [online] Available at: https://www.aksa.com/en/products/what-is-acrylic-fiber-/what-is-acrylic-fiber-/i-56 [Accessed 4 Oct. 2019].
En.wikipedia.org. (2019). Acrylic fiber. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_fiber [Accessed 4 Oct. 2019].
Naturalclothing.com. (2019). What Is Acrylic Fabric? How Acrylic Fabric Is Made & Its Properties. [online] Available at: https://www.naturalclothing.com/what-is-acrylic-fabric/ [Accessed 4 Oct. 2019].